The town is particularly known for the painting “the Madonna del Parto”, the famous fresco by Piero della Francesca painted between 1455 and 1465 in honor of his mother, Romana di Perino da Monterchi, originally from the area.
The fresco, originally intended for the Chapel of Santa Maria di Momentana, is currently preserved in the Museum of the Madonna del Parto by Piero della Francesca.
Monterchi of clear medieval character, is perched on an isolated hill, named in the past Mons Herculis, (Monte di Ercole), which overlooks the hills of the Valtiberina.
Historic Palace B&B
Street XX Settembre 160/162
52037 Sansepolcro (AR)
“The structure is beautiful, a true historic palace, not only in name, in the central street of Sansepolcro but still convenient to reach with a short walk to the free parking”.Jodie_Lu